At this stage of development of medicine to cure psoriasis forever while it is impossible, since the mechanisms of its occurrence and manifestations has not been studied. This disease has a chronic character. This means that periods of remission replaced exacerbations. If you choose the right course of treatment and comply with it, will be able to maximize remission and minimize the number of exacerbations. In this issue, we need the professional approach. At the first sign of the disease, immediately contact a doctor.
The risk of psoriasis
The view that psoriasis brings only aesthetic discomfort wrongly. The danger of this disease for the entire body cannot be underestimated. The disease is systemic, which means that it affects all internal organs.
Psoriasis is triggered by disruptions in the functioning of the immune system. If you do not start timely treatment, it entails enormous complications:
- nail psoriasis may lead to deformation and complete loss of the nail plate;
- develop liver disease, kidney;
- plaques appear not only on the body, but the mucous membrane, they can be localized in the bladder, the urethra, which causes cystitis, urethritis, prostatitis;
- deteriorating joints in the future, there is psoriatic arthritis;
- there is a risk of damage to the nervous system, sometimes with psoriasis develop polyneuritis, epilepsy, encephalopathy;
- enlargement and inflammation of the lymph nodes;
- heart problems;
- eye disease – conjunctivitis, etc.;
- Palmar-plantar psoriasis is associated with pain, so difficult to go to perform manipulations with his hands.
Psoriatic papules may appear on any area of the body. Most often they first appear on the elbows, knees. Dependent on the localization and characteristics of the symptoms, the disease is classified into different types.
Hormonal and not hormonal therapy in the treatment of psoriasis
Cure of psoriasis is possible using hormonal and not hormonal therapy. Each of these methods has advantages and disadvantages and application features.
In the initial stages, doctors prescribe hormonal medications. They are slow, so suggest a long course of treatment. With their help it is possible to eliminate uncomfortable symptoms that accompany the disease. They eliminate itching, moisturize the skin, promote healing of wounds. Such medicines are suitable for treating children.
In advanced forms, or if not hormonal medications did not improve the patient's condition, prescribed hormonal therapy. It involves the use of corticosteroids produced in the body by the adrenal cortex. Their main task – to normalize metabolic processes.
In the treatment of psoriasis use 2 subspecies of hormones:
- Glucocorticoids – normalize glucose metabolism. This group includes cortisone, hydrocortisone.
- Mineralocorticoids – normalizes the exchange of minerals, particularly salts of calcium, sodium and potassium. Main representative is.
The main advantage of hormonal therapy – this approach helps to quickly cure the symptoms of psoriasis. But these medicines have a very rapid effect on the body, which leads to many side effects. This applies to both tablets and ointments. The hormones contained in drugs for external use, absorbed by the skin, penetrate into the blood, are carried throughout the body.
Complications that can cause hormonal therapy:
- the development of diabetes steroid type;
- the deposition of salts in the joints, arthritis;
- the decrease in the level of production of potassium salts, which support the work of the heart;
- increase in blood pressure;
- swelling of the body and face;
- increase of level of cholesterol;
- renal dysfunction, liver;
- failure of the menstrual cycle;
- the increased blood clotting, thrombosis;
- neurological disorders;
- the deterioration of the skin;
- quick weight gain, obesity.
Hormone therapy can be used only as directed by your doctor, strictly following the assigned dosage without exceeding course of treatment. The dose of the drugs should be decreasing.
Never self-medicate, using hormonal drugs. They are strictly contraindicated for pregnant women and nursing mothers. It is important to consider that some hormones very slowly excreted, so that hormone therapy was less than 2 years, there is a risk of malformations of the fetus.
Dependent on the stage and severity of the disease for the treatment of psoriasis is selected monotherapy (provides for the appointment of the 1st drug), or using multiple tools. If you need to cure chronic psoriasis usually combine medication internal therapy, which include pills, injections, external preparations of the action – ointments, lotions, creams, medicated shampoos. Consider more drugs effective in the treatment of various stages of psoriasis.
Medicines for internal use
To get rid of psoriasis will help:
- Antihistamines. Pills and injections assigned in the acute period of the disease. They lessen itching.
- The cytostatics. Reduce the activity of the pathological process of cell division that improves the appearance of skin, promotes the disappearance of papules.
- Retinoids. Improve skin in psoriasis. It is a derivative of vitamin A should be carefully. Is contraindicated during pregnancy planning and during gestation.
- The chelators. Effectively cleanse the body of toxins, that is paramount in the treatment of psoriasis, especially if the disease progresses.
- Antibiotics. If the background of psoriasis develop infectious disease prescribers in this group.
- Hepatoprotectors, enzymes. Required if psoriasis is accompanied by disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Immunosuppressants. Normalize the functioning of T-lymphocytes, which play a key role in the development of psoriasis. It is important to note that immunosuppressants are toxic, therefore used only by the doctor.
- Anti-inflammatory medication. This is a non-steroidal medication. They relieve inflammation and reduce or minimize pain.
- Products. Development of modern pharmaceutical industry. They normalize the activity of T-lymphocytes, but inhibit the immune system. The person becomes susceptible to viruses, infections.
Medicines for external use
At the initial stage of psoriasis is easy to cure with special ointments and creams. When the advanced form of the disease, they are a necessary component of complex therapy, because they allow as much as possible and to quickly eliminate the symptoms directly affect the psoriatic papules. The most effective drugs:
Hormonal ointments and creams
Due to the content of hormones act after a few applications. They are administered in the acute phase of the disease to reduce inflammation, peeling, itching, suppress excessive growth of skin cells.
The maximum duration of treatment of hormonal therapy is 7-14 days with a gradual dose reduction, otherwise there will be addictive to the drug.
Non-hormonal ointments and creams
Improve condition of the skin, minimize the uncomfortable feelings that accompany psoriasis. The main types of these drugs:
- tar – are made on the basis of birch, pine tar, effectively combating inflammation of the skin, stop the abnormal division of cells;
- apathetic – act superficially, moisturize and soften the skin, are appointed for the progressive stage of the disease, this group includes salicylic and zinc ointment;
- ointment grease – soften the skin surface, stimulate cell renewal of the epidermis, antiseptic and analgesic effect;
- ointments vitamins stimulate metabolic processes and improve skin condition;
- ointments containing oil – relieve pain, itching, stimulate exfoliation of psoriatic papules;
- ointments containing alcohol – used in stationary and off stages of the disease.
The benefits of non-hormonal ointments – they do not cause addiction, does not affect the activity of the endocrine system and other internal organs that are compatible with other medicines.
Medicated shampoos to treat psoriasis of the scalp. Having a comprehensive effect, they negate the discomfort and stimulate the healing process of pimples and restore the skin. The main types of shampoos:
- antifungal – remove from the surface of the skin fungus, relieve itching, flaking;
- tar – containing tar, which cleanses the skin from dead cells, eliminates itching, reduces inflammation;
- treatment, contain Ichthyol, salicylic acid, zinc, contribute to the healing of the papules, stimulates regenerative processes of the skin;
- cosmetic – containing a minor concentration of the treatment components, therefore, are assigned to prevent psoriasis, but not for treatment;
- children – designed for the treatment of psoriasis in a child, therefore, made of most natural components do not contain chemical compounds, fragrances.
In the treatment of all types of psoriasis high efficiency is achieved physiotherapy. Hold them only at the stationary stage of the disease. In the acute phase physical therapy is not used. Consider the most popular procedures:
- UV radiation is dependent on the area affected of the skin is used zonal or total exposure. Not used in the treatment of psoriasis year. The number and duration of procedures are determined individually.
- Electric – has a sedative effect, normalizes the activity of the nervous system. Accelerates the healing process of papules. Is 8-10 procedures for 20-60 minutes.
- Selective phototherapy – psoriasis skin areas exposed to waves with a length of 310-340 nm. Promotes long-term remission. The duration of treatment is determined individually.
- PUVA therapy – is assigned when severe stage psoriasis affected large areas of the skin. The essence of the procedure – patients take inside a photo sensitizer, and then undergo irradiation by the UV wavelengths of 320-400 nm. We need to go to 25 sessions. You may experience side effects – dryness, itching, redness, skin pigmentation, nausea, hepatitis.
- Radiotherapy – affected areas of the epidermis is irradiated with ultra soft or soft x-rays. It eliminates itching and inflammation, accelerates healing. The procedure is performed 1 time per 4-7 days.
- Ultrasound – papules irradiated by waves with frequency of 800-3000 kHz. To achieve anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiallergenic effect is 8-14 session maximum duration of 15 minutes.
- Cryotherapy – reduces itching, stimulates the metabolism. To stimulate healing of the papules, you need to go 20-25 procedures 2-3.5 minutes twice a day.
- Therapy magnets – appointed with all types of the disease, but is particularly effective for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis. Normalizes the activity of the Central nervous system, relieves itching, stimulates the regeneration of the procession of the skin. Duration of treatment is 10-12 sessions for 10 minutes.
- Laser therapy is a painless method, which involves irradiation of the papules with a laser, which contributes to their rapid healing. The number and duration of procedures the doctor determines individually.
- Bath with sea salt – reduce the symptoms of the disease, improve the condition of the skin. For their preparation need water 37-37°C, per liter of which are dissolved 5 g of salt. Take 15-20 days to 15-20 minutes.
Many who cured psoriasis completely, having a comprehensive course of sanatorium-resort treatment. It provides treatments using mineral waters, mud, oil and other methods.
To improve the patient's condition at home should be systematically remedy.
- Celandine – daily smearing of papules fresh juice of celandine. The procedure is repeated the entire period of flowering plants 3 summers in a row. From the root of celandine tincture prepared his ground, and 4 tablespoons of the composition is poured 0.5 liters of alcohol. Daily RUB the skin with papules for 4-5 months.
- Ointment eggs – mix 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and 0.5 tbsp of vinegar. Ready weight to lubricate papules before bed 5-6 months.
- Therapeutic bath – clear 0.5 kg of nuts from shells pour 1 liter of boiling water. This infusion added to the bath and take her 15 minutes. You need to repeat 15 procedures a day.
- Berry juice – mix 1 glass of fresh juice of viburnum with the same amount of juice of strawberries. Smear this mixture papules to their disappearance.
Proper nutrition for psoriasis
An important role in the treatment of psoriasis the food. It must be correct and complete and balanced. The Foundation of a healthy diet – polyunsaturated acids, fiber, grains, fruits.
To get rid of psoriasis will help only a comprehensive treatment, doctor-designed individually based on the results of diagnosis of a particular patient. It takes into account the form and stage of the disease, the age and current condition of the person.
Do not self-medicate, as this is a very serious disease. Universal methods of therapy no. To minimize the risk of developing the disease will help a healthy lifestyle, Smoking cessation, proper skin care, good nutrition and positive emotions.