Psoriasis- a chronic disease, the causes of which are not fully understood. People of different ages suffer from it, sometimes rashes affect up to 40% of the skin, hair, limbs and nails are especially affected. Knowing how to treat psoriasis, you can get a long-term remission.
types of psoriasis
Although the condition is incurable, it is important to choose the right treatment to prevent new rashes from appearing and minimize the number of complications. To do this, you need to determine the type of disease. The main ones include:
- Common.The most common type, occurring in more than 75% of cases. The skin becomes inflamed, covered in scales. Ordinary psoriasis can be localized, affecting the same areas of the body all the time, or generalized - all the time affecting new areas.
- In the form of a drop.It occurs in children and adolescents. Diagnosed with congenital psoriasis associated with genetic factors. The eruptions are in the form of drops.
- Pustular.The rash resembles white blisters, a light red outline is visible around it.
- exudative.Typical of overweight people. Rashes appear in skin folds, usually under the arms, on the neck, on the abdomen. It is difficult to treat the exudative form, as due to the friction of the skin, the inflammatory process is increasing all the time.
- Psoriatic arthritis.It occurs as a complication of prolonged neglect of other forms of psoriasis. In addition to rashes, joints begin to be affected, which interferes with normal life.
Causes of psoriasis
Despite the fact that doctors are actively involved in the question of how to treat psoriasis, the exact causes of the disease have not been established. There are only theories, most experts are inclined to the following:
- Psychoneurological.This theory is supported by many doctors. Experienced a strong nervous shock, stress often leads to the appearance of rashes. Sometimes the plaques appear gradually, sometimes in large numbers all at once. Illness in adults, even in the elderly, often occurs against the background of nervous experiences.
- Genetic.This theory is most often used in diagnosing the disease in children. If one of the parents suffers from psoriasis, the probability of its manifestation in the child is more than 50%. The earlier you start treating the disease, the more likely it is to stop its spread, otherwise up to 40% of the body can be affected by adulthood.
- Endocrine.Hormonal disorders, problems with the thyroid gland, most often diagnosed in women, also contribute to the development of the disease.
- Immune.During psoriasis, cells in the affected area of the skin begin to divide more intensely than normal. It was found that the disease often manifests itself against the background of changes in the body's immune system.
Factors that contribute to the development of psoriasis
Advocates of psychological and immunological theory are in the majority. It is impossible to understand whether psoriasis is an autoimmune or psychological disease. When an excessive increase in defective cells of the epidermis appears, the patient is usually diagnosed with the presence of several predisposing factors at the same time. The main ones are:
- short-term periodic tensions and / or strong nervous shock all at once;
- low self-esteem, feeling of dissatisfaction;
- sleep disorders;
- disturbances of the digestive system;
- malfunction of the pancreas;
- immunological diseases;
- Allergic reactions;
- skin diseases;
- mechanical damage to the skin;
- chronic infectious diseases;
- the presence of pathogenic microorganisms (staphylococci, fungi, others);
- unhealthy lifestyle, bad habits.
The truth about psoriasis is that a genetic predisposition to it is rare. Often, a person's lifestyle, neglect of existing diseases, unstable emotional state provoke the development of the disease.
What are the symptoms and signs of psoriasis
The main symptom of psoriasis is a rash on the skin in the form of patches covered with scales. The patient suffers from constant itching, burning sensation, especially during the appearance of new lesions. Depending on the intensity of the manifestation of symptoms, three stages of the disease are distinguished:
- progressive- new plaques appear, itching, the inflammatory process increases;
- stationary- the growth of new eruptions is stopped, the therapy gives results, the inflammation gradually decreases;
- regressive- a period of remission, small marks similar to age spots remain on the skin.
A sign of psoriasis is also a deterioration in a person's general condition. Due to skin defects, there is isolation, embarrassment of one's own body, patients often lead a lonely lifestyle.
What are the rashes in psoriasis like?
In most patients, the rash looks the same - red patches that protrude several millimeters above the skin level. The plates peel off, the scales fall off on their own. If you do this mechanically, removing them with your hands, blood will run out in place of the stains.
During the progressive stage, not only does the area of existing plates increase, but also their number. Thus, the spots are combined with each other, large plates with a clear outline are obtained. The larger the area of the rash, the stronger the itching, this is due to the presence of neuro-reflex and allergic reactions.
What Are Psoriasis Nail Lesions Like?
Nail psoriasis is often mistaken for a fungus, starting to treat the wrong disease. The manifestations of the two diseases are in fact similar. Therefore, before starting to treat psoriasis, a diagnosis is made. The main symptoms of nail damage, which develops gradually, are:
- depressed spots on the plaque;
- pinkish, irregularly shaped, translucent patches across the nail;
- discoloration of the nail plate: fades, turns yellow;
- sealing plate;
- Violation of nail integrity.
The lesion occurs from the edge of the plate, moves to the root. As long as it is not affected, it is possible to stop the inflammatory process, which will prevent the deformation of the nail.
Psoriasis is contagious
Most misconceptions about the disease are that psoriasis is contagious or fatal. When a disease occurs, viruses and bacteria do not participate. Although the rash resembles a fungus, the patient also does not have these microorganisms. In other words, it is impossible to be infected by another.
Scales, peeling off of plaques, are common dead cells. Theycan't stand the disease, therefore, there is no threat to the people around, relatives, caring for psoriasis patients.
How to treat psoriasis
It is necessary to start treating psoriasis at the initial stage, when the disease has affected a small area of the body. The inflammatory process is just developing, so it will be easier to stop it. Some do not try to get rid of psoriasis at an early stage without recognizing the disease. It is confused with an allergic reaction, dry skin, diseases of the epidermis. It takes longer to heal a running shape.
Therapy is needed comprehensive. Includes:
- the use of funds for external use (hormonal/non-hormonal);
- taking therapeutic baths;
- taking drugs inside;
- rejection of bad habits;
- establishing a stable psychological state.
Everyone who is trying to treat the condition is interested in whether it is possible to cure psoriasis for good. Despite its chronic nature, many manage to achieve remission for decades. However, this requires a lifelong diet, the use of certain medications, compliance with the recommendations of other doctors.
What ointments are effective in treating psoriasis
Psoriasis is often treated with non-hormonal ointments from the following groups:
- Indifferent.Designed to eliminate flaking, reduce redness. They accelerate wound healing, causing the skin to tone up. Can be used for prophylaxis during seasonal exacerbation.
- Solid oil.They dry the skin, accelerate the convergence of the scales, stop the inflammatory process. They have a characteristic pungent smell of grease.
- Oil.Its use is excluded in the progressive phase, when the inflammatory process is exacerbated. Used most often to prevent relapses.
- Mustard.They are toxic and should only be used with a doctor's prescription.
Doctors, advising how to cure advanced psoriasis, recommend immediately starting the use of hormone-based ointments. They are more powerful, but they can be addictive. It is dangerous to start using them without a prescription.
What cream can be used to treat psoriasis
Treatment for psoriasis includes restoring the skin, making it toned. In addition to the healing and anti-inflammatory effect, they also have a soothing and drying effect. Popular creams for psoriasis are:
- It has a combined effect: antipruritic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiallergic. It is applied to the affected area of the skin twice a day for 4-5 weeks.
- A cream whose potent action is possible due to the presence of propionate in the composition of clobetasol. The uniqueness of the drug lies in the possibility of its use in various forms of the disease.
- External agent with isoconazole and diflucortolone. It is especially effective for a disease that began against the background of an allergic reaction, skin damage and other skin diseases. The cream has an anti-exudative effect, quickly eliminates itching, redness, swelling.
- A powerful hormone-based cream, applied no more than once a day. It has an antipruritic, anti-inflammatory and drying effect.
When deciding how to treat psoriasis, many choose to use these or other creams. The attending physician must select the remedy, especially if it has a hormonal basis. These drugs are addictive, so subsequent exacerbations often require the appointment of a new cream.
How to treat scalp psoriasis
The treatment of scalp psoriasis requires a particularly careful approach. The basis of therapy is the use of ointments, creams for external use, as described above, as well as washing the head with medicated shampoos. The following groups are effective:
- Tar.They have a soothing effect, relieve itching, burning sensation, inflammation.
- antifungal.The active components of these agents contribute not only to the elimination and killing of pathogenic microorganisms, but also have a healing, anti-inflammatory and antipruritic effect. Therefore, they are used for scalp psoriasis.
- Zinc based.This substance has a complex effect, providing antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal effects.
Wash your hair with a medicated psoriasis shampoo 1-2 times a week. It is recommended to keep it on the hair for about 5 minutes, so that all the components have time to act. The shampoo is washed off with clean running water. After washing, it is not recommended to use a hair dryer that causes flaking of the skin.
How to treat psoriasis on the head
In addition to shampoos, for the treatment of psoriasis on the head, it is necessary to use drugs from the following groups:
- Non-hormonal creams, ointments.To reduce the formation of plaques on the head, it is necessary to provide moisture to the skin, providing an anti-inflammatory and soothing effect.
- Hormonal preparations.It is necessary to treat psoriasis of the head as soon as possible, because in this area the plaques spread especially intensely. They are prescribed only by the attending physician, most of them are used for 5-7 days.
- cosmetics.Head psoriasis usually affects the forehead, ears, and face. Cosmetics are prescribed in addition to the main drugs used for treatment. They can be oils, moisturizers, even children's.
Due to psoriasis on the head, many have complexes. This part of the body is difficult to hide, the scales constantly fall out of the hair, which causes discomfort. Therefore, if a disease is detected, it must be treated immediately.
How to treat psoriasis on elbows and hands
Knowing how psoriasis on the elbows and hands is treated, it is possible to prevent the spread of the disease, because often the first lesions appear on the limbs. The basis of therapy is means for external use. Due to the fact that the arm is constantly bent at the elbow, irritation increases all the time, sores appear around the plates.
Ointments and creams have a healing effect, eliminate itching, redness. Treat elbow psoriasis effectively with the help of these:
- Glucocorticosteroid, which is applied to the affected area once a day, preferably at bedtime. After using the ointment, it is necessary to wear a long-sleeved cotton sweater.
- A cream with a natural base, composed of vitamins and vegetable oils, in addition to grease and bee honey. This improves the condition of the skin, eliminates itching.
- Ointment with extracts of string, celandine and calendula. Suitable for long-term use - for several months. Continued use of the drug is recommended to prevent exacerbation.
To smooth the skin of the elbows, folk remedies are used, preparing ointments from them. As a base, they usually use a baby cream or any moisturizer, but in a natural way. For example, for 5 g of cream, 1 egg white, 1 tsp is taken. celandine juice. The ingredients are mixed, the resulting mixture is applied to the plates in a thin layer.
Which sanatoriums offer rest and treatment for psoriasis patients
It is best to contact sanatoriums that offer mud therapy. Therapeutic wraps, baths with the addition of mud have a beneficial effect on the skin condition of patients. Diet plays an important role. It is difficult for many people to get used to the new principles of nutrition shown in psoriasis; therefore, after visiting a sanatorium, they learn to cook healthy food.
When choosing a sanatorium, it is also important to consider the possibility of a good rest. It is better to choose options that are located close to nature: the sea, mountain lakes, forests. Doctors recommend going to Israel, to sanatoriums located on the shores of the Dead Sea.
Many people cannot afford rest and therapy in Israel, so you can also contact local sanatoriums.
Is monoclonal antibody treatment effective for psoriasis?
Monoclonal antibodies are a protein compound created by doctors to treat psoriasis. Once in the patient's body, they neutralize the mediators of the immune response, recognize the autoantibodies that cause psoriasis and have a harmful effect on them. This method of therapy is recognized as one of the most effective, but it is still not available to everyone.
In total, about 30 preparations containing monoclonal antibodies were developed. Most of them are intended for intravenous administration. Each of them is specialized in fighting a certain form, type of disease. Thanks to this, it is possible to treat the focus of inflammation. For example, drugs:
- used in serious illness;
- effective in psoriatic arthritis;
- treats psoriasis that affects the nail plates.
What are the effective folk remedies for the treatment of psoriasis
Folk remedy therapy is popular, but doctors advise using it in addition to the main drug treatment. There are a variety of recipes, choosing any of them, it is important to take into account the possible individual intolerance of the components. Many have successfully used the following:
- Propolis.The beekeeping product is applied orally, 2 g, washed with water. Ointments are also prepared based on propolis. To do this, mix 10 g of the product with 100 g of butter. This ointment has a smoothing and soothing effect.
- Birch tar.It is rubbed into the affected areas of the skin, washed off after half an hour with warm water.
- Vinegar and iodine.Both components are mixed in equal amounts, a gauze dressing or bandage is moistened in the prepared solution and applied to the inflamed area. The lotion is kept until completely dry.
- Kalanchoe and/or Aloe.The leaves of the plants are crushed in a blender to a porridge state, a little honey is added to them to obtain a convenient consistency for application. The mixture is applied at night, wrapped with a bandage.
How to treat psoriasis at home
Hospitalization of the patient is rarely necessary, more often psoriasis can be cured at home. In addition to following the doctor's recommendations, following a diet, using folk remedies, it will be useful to use the following tips:
- use moisturizing lotions, creams, oils, lubricating them with excessively dry skin;
- avoid unfavorable weather, if your place of residence is always dry, cold air, think about moving;
- avoid even minor skin injuries - cuts, scrapes;
- completely give up alcohol, bad habits;
- watch your weight;
- walking outdoors;
- observe the rules of personal hygiene;
- reduce the number of emotional experiences.
You can achieve long-term remission at home, after achieving it, you must continue to adhere to a new lifestyle.
How to treat psoriasis with peroxide
Treatment of psoriasis may include the use of hydrogen peroxide. It is an inexpensive and readily available remedy that some medical scientists advise taking by mouth. In that case, you must follow the following rules:
- take the medicine three times a day at the same time;
- initial dosage - 1 drop per 2 tablespoons of water;
- the dosage increases daily to 10 drops per 2 tbsp. Water;
- then a break is taken for 10 days;
- the peroxide is taken up immediately with 10 drops;
- if there is deterioration of the condition, the use of the remedy should be abandoned.
How to treat psoriasis with the sea
Seaside psoriasis treatment is not available to everyone, but doctors advise all patients to spend at least a little time there. A positive result of this is achieved due to:
- saturation of the skin with vitamins, useful microelements through the sun's rays;
- smoothing the skin tone, giving it an aesthetic appearance;
- wound healing effect of salt water;
- improve the general condition of the patient on vacation.
Patients often experience depression, discouragement, complexes. Rest is necessary for such a person, so going to the sea is a great way to not only relax morally, but also benefit the body.
How to recognize and treat psoriasis in children
First among the causes of the disease in children is a genetic predisposition. The rest of the reasons are the same as in adults. If psoriasis is diagnosed in an adolescent or young child, treatment should be done immediately, symptoms in children are more complex.
In addition to rashes, the baby is prone to chills, fever, deterioration of the general condition. Older children may also have these symptoms. The first spots appear imperceptibly, there is no specific itching, there is no pain, therefore, the responsibility for timely detection of the disease lies with the parents.
Treatment of psoriasis in children necessarily includes:
- the use of sedative sedatives to eliminate emotional overload (Valerian, motherwort);
- desensitizing drugs that reduce itching, burning, pain;
- groups of vitamins A, B, C, it is desirable to inject;
- glucocorticosteroids - hormonal drugs, are prescribed in severe cases.
What is psoriatic arthritis
Psoriatic arthritis is a complication of psoriasis that affects the joints. The symptoms of the disease are similar to those of rheumatoid arthritis, but have distinct characteristics. In addition to drug treatment, strict diet and exercise are necessary to prevent complications. To recognize psoriatic arthritis in time and decide how to treat it, you need to pay attention to the following symptoms:
- joint pain;
- rigidity of movements;
- burning sensation when walking.
What to shower with psoriasis
In order for the baths to be effective, it is necessary to carry out the procedure correctly, observing the following requirements:
- the water temperature should be 33-37 degrees;
- before showering, you should shower, wash off dirt;
- procedure duration - 20-25 minutes;
- after you need to clean yourself with a soft towel, go to bed;
- 2-3 procedures per week are sufficient.
Popular bathing options include:
- saline solution - dissolve 2 kg of sea salt;
- turpentine - during the first procedure they take 25 g of the product, then 50, 75 and so on up to 200 g;
- soda - pour half a pack of soda;
- herbs - are considered the most effective, the easiest way is to buy a ready-made pharmacy collection of celandine, chamomile, succession, sage, prepare according to the instructions, pour into the bath.
How to treat psoriasis according to Pegano
Treating psoriasis according to Pegano means following the nutrition system developed by the doctor. He suggests adding more alkaline foods to your daily diet, eliminating acid-forming ones. The first should be up to 70-80%. The table below lists permitted and prohibited foods:
|Fruits that are not citrus||fatty meats|
|Vegetables other than potatoes, tomatoes||sweets, white bread|
|Lean meats||full-fat dairy|
|Eggs||Smoked meats, pickles, marinades|
|Low-fat dairy products||Candy|
|Pure water, preferably mineral||Alcohol, coffee, strong tea|
Is there an effective treatment for psoriasis?
In order for psoriasis to disappear and to be able to forget about it for many years, you need to be patient. Effective treatment is complex, so it is impossible to limit yourself to an ointment or just a diet. There is no single recipe that allows everyone to achieve remission, each case is individual.
First of all, you need to change your lifestyle, give up bad habits, start eating right. So you need to take care of your psychological state. If psoriasis arose against the background of a nervous shock, then in order to treat it more easily, it is better to turn to psychotherapists. To effectively get rid of a rash, you need to choose a remedy for blemishing the affected areas of the skin.
They take psoriasis to the army
Each case is considered separately, the key factor that determines the commission's decision is the degree of disease. If the plaques occupy up to 3% of the body surface, it is a mild degree, which does not even serve as a basis for a delay. From 3 to 10% - medium, above 10% - severe, in these cases, the intensity of the inflammatory process, the nature of the plaques, their size and other factors serve to delay.
There are three qualification categories:
- B - a young person is credited to the reservation;
- G - is recognized as temporarily unfit;
- D - is recognized as unfit, receives a white ticket.
Almost always, the basis for obtaining category D is psoriatic arthritis, a complicated form of the disease.
Thus, it is necessary to treat psoriasis comprehensively. Therapy necessarily includes the use of external agents (pharmacy, folklore), drugs for oral administration, diet. To enhance its effect, it is recommended to take baths. By following all the doctor's recommendations, you can achieve a long-term remission.