Diet for psoriasis does not cure the disease. But a person who does not adhere to the principles of a healthy diet and eats foods that cause allergic dermatitis increases the risk of relapse. This skin disease is incurable, but if a psoriasis sufferer follows medical recommendations, is actively treated, and monitors nutrition, then it prolongs remissions and eases the course of an attack if the disease worsens. Therefore, you need to know what you can and cannot eat if psoriasis is diagnosed.
General diet principles for psoriasis
A food chart that lists allowed and prohibited foods will help you to diet properly. If a single food product is not indicated next to the name in the "can" column, this group is prohibited in the diet of a person diagnosed with psoriasis.
|products||he can||It's forbidden|
|legumes||Soy, lentils, peas in small amounts|
|Vegetation||Lettuce, dill, parsley, chives, lettuce|
|Sour milk||low fat||little fat|
|canned food||Pickles, marinades, fish, meat|
|cereals||Buckwheat, oats, corn, barley||semolina, rice|
|dairy||Reduced fat content|
|Me at||dietary meat||Fatty varieties, lard, smoked products, including sausages|
|The drinks||Mineral water, table water||Coffee, tea, alcohol, natural and packaged juices|
|Vegetables||Beetroot, carrot, cabbage, onion, pumpkin, corn||paprika, tomato|
|walnut seeds||Almonds, pine nuts, pumpkin, flaxseed, sunflower seeds|
|Spice||cumin, garlic||Vinegar, salt, hot spices|
|Fish, seafood||Fresh and lean varieties||Caviar, smoked fish, salted fish, crabs, shrimp, mussels, lobsters|
|Candy||Natural, jelly, marmalade, compote, fruit drink||Honey, chocolate, sugar, confectionery|
|Dry fruits||Prunes, dried apricots, raisins||candied fruits|
|Cheese||Curd||Fatty, moldy varieties|
|Fruit||Apples, pears, melon, watermelon, pineapple, mango, kiwi||Citrus fruits, oranges, tangerines, lemons|
|Bakery||Macaroni, wholemeal bread||Baking, white flour dough|
|exotic||Soy sauce, various sauces|
|berries||Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries, cranberries, currants||Strawberry Raspberry|
It is helpful for people with psoriasis to consider when compiling a menu what you need:
- Refrain from legumes. Beans, lentils, peanuts, soy are foods that are consumed in moderation, despite being rich in zinc and B vitamins.
- Include in your diet vegetable and nut oils, except for soybeans and peanuts, which are rich in polyunsaturated acids. Avoid butter and margarine.
- Vegetables and salads are useful, so dill, parsley, basil, lettuce and chives are included in the daily diet. These products are rich in vitamins and minerals, support the body, saturate with nutrients, strengthen the immune system.
- Choose fermented milk and dairy products such as cheeses, milk, kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt, low-fat and sugar-free. They contain calcium, which has a beneficial effect on the skin and stops inflammation in psoriasis.
- Refuse canned food. There are almost no vitamins, but a lot of spices, salt, vinegar.
- There is buckwheat, barley, corn, oats. Semolina and rice (especially husked, cream) are excluded, as they contain a lot of starch, contribute to weight gain.
- Choose diet meats: chicken, turkey, rabbit, beef and lean lamb. Steam or boil meat dishes. Salo, pork, fatty poultry are contraindicated in psoriasis.
- Drink plenty of fluids, lightly carbonated mineral water or table water, unsweetened jams, herbal teas. But give up on freshly squeezed juices, in which there are a lot of essential oils. Sufficient fluid intake maintains the health of the skin and all internal organs.
- Refuse vegetables and fruits that cause allergies and trigger dermatitis.
- Do not eat citrus fruits and berries that contain red pigment: raspberries, strawberries, pomegranates. But blueberries, cranberries, blueberries, blueberries, blackberries, currants, on the contrary, should be in the diet of a person with psoriasis. During remission, pineapple, mango, kiwi fruit are useful, and green apples, bananas are best eaten roasted. Melon, pears are used as a separate dish.
- Include fresh nuts and seeds in your diet such as walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. Refuse varieties that often trigger allergies, such as hazelnuts.
- There are fish - low-fat varieties with white meat, pink salmon, because they are rich in omega acids, but exclude red caviar, seafood, and surimi.
- Of the sweets, prefer the natural ones, for example, fruit jelly, marmalade, marshmallow. Suitable dried apricots, plums, raisins. But chocolate, honey, caramel, candy, cookies are contraindicated for people with psoriasis.
- From bakery products, choose wholemeal flour products, muffins and doughs made from wheat flour of the highest grades, products that include sugar, butter.
- Avoid spicy, salty, pickled foods, exotic foods like soy sauce because it is high in salt, and fermented beans.
- Watch out for the eggs. Boiled chicken, eat no more than 2 times a week, eat quail eggs, especially yolks. They are believed to fight relapses of the disease.
Allowed and useful products
Useful products for psoriasis should be:
- rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals;
- dietary, lean;
The list of foods that can be consumed with psoriasis is extensive, and a person with skin disease must follow a daily diet so that meals are complete and varied. The menu is made taking into account the fact that most of the diet (up to 80%) must be of plant origin.
For example, fruits with psoriasis can be eaten every day. The exceptions are citrus fruits and preserves in syrup. Oranges, lemons, tangerines can cause a severe allergic reaction, rash and cause a relapse of the disease. There is a lot of sugar in canned foods and almost no vitamins remain. It is best to combine fresh fruit and berries with low-fat yogurt or coarse-grain cottage cheese.
Vegetables like cabbage, carrots, beets are especially useful. Of these, it is easy and quick to prepare salads, in which you can add sunflower, cedar, pumpkin seeds.
The list of products that make up the menu of a person with psoriasis necessarily includes white fish, lean meats, which are a source of amino acids necessary for the brain and the whole body to maintain immunity.
The permitted list also includes legumes such as soybeans, chickpeas, peas, green and yellow, lentils and beans. These foods are rich in zinc, which is essential for people with psoriasis. However, excessive consumption of legumes in the diet overloads the digestive tract and worsens the course of the disease.
What not to eat with psoriasis
Forbidden foods for psoriasis cause inflammation, dermatitis and worsen the course of the disease. Some of them can be consumed sparingly in the remission stage.
A person who has been diagnosed with a skin pathology should be careful with food, as some of them can only be consumed in a certain way. For example, nuts for psoriasis are best eaten raw, but not fried, not salted. Hazelnuts, cashews, other exotic varieties are contraindicated because they cause allergies.
When buying a product, pay attention to its appearance and expiration date. Moldy almonds or walnuts, a "stinky" product that has passed its expiration date, are prohibited.
In no case should you eat canned food with psoriasis. It has few nutrients but lots of salt, pepper, vinegar and other spices. These products provoke allergic reactions, dehydrate the body, irritate the digestive tract.
With psoriasis, it is strictly forbidden to drink alcoholic, carbonated drinks, packaged juices, coffee, strong tea, cocoa.
Nutrition for psoriasis for a woman or a man should be fractionated. A person should eat 4-6 times a day, eat small portions, chewing well.
The ideal time for the last meal is 2 hours before going to bed. This mode reduces the load on the gastrointestinal tract.
Foods for psoriasis should be varied, but it is not recommended to combine too many foods on one plate.
How to eat well with psoriasis: a sample menu for a week
The menu of psoriasis must be varied, as the body needs vitamins, minerals and nutrients. There is no need to strain the intestines by combining as many components as possible in one dish. For every day, it is better to prepare simple meals, gradually eliminating inappropriate foods from the diet.
In the treatment of psoriasis, the diet also depends on the stage and course of the disease. For example, during relapses, they eat mashed, steamed and stewed dishes that do not contain salt, sugar, spices. Fruits, especially apples and bananas, are roasted and "exotics" are discarded.
For breakfast, a person with psoriasis can eat porridge boiled in water (buckwheat, oatmeal, corn, corn). You can season them with dried fruit, fresh fruit, yogurt. Snack on well-baked apples, bananas, oatmeal cookies. You can drink a glass of low-fat kefir or a cup of weak, unsweetened green tea.
The Lenten lunch consists of pureed vegetable soups and meat or fish dishes. Low-fat boiled lamb, beef, chicken with a side dish of fresh vegetables or coleslaw and carrots dressed with vegetable oil will do.
For dessert, you can have natural fruit mousses, fresh fruit and berry salads, jellies, marshmallows and low-sugar marshmallows. If the disease is in remission, limited consumption of honey is allowed and it is best to abstain from butter at any stage of the disease.
The diet for psoriasis patients consists of about 80% plant foods, cereals, fruits, vegetables and dishes based on them. Foods rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals support the digestive function of the body, strengthen the immune system, prolong remission and greatly facilitate the course of the disease.
Salads for psoriasis are prepared with fruits or vegetables and seasoned with low-fat plain yogurt or vegetable oil. A simple vegetable salad recipe that never gets boring, made from cabbage, beets, carrots, is suitable as a snack or side dish.
- A big carrot.
- A medium beet.
- White or Peking cabbage, a quarter of a head.
Preparing the salad:
- Wash vegetables well under running water with a brush, you can pour over boiling water.
- Clean the beets and carrots. Remove the top leaves from the cabbage.
- Rub the root vegetables on a coarse grater or cut into thin strips.
- Grate the cabbage.
- Place in a deep bowl. Season with vegetable oil.
- Mash with a fork to release the juices from the vegetables.
In such a salad, you can add fresh herbs, cucumbers and fresh zucchini. A combination of vegetables and a handful of fresh fruit, blueberries or cranberries will suddenly ring, giving the salad a tart flavor. A handful of walnuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkins will also come in handy.
Soups with psoriasis are best cooked in vegetable broth. You can eat pureed mushroom and vegetable soups seasoned with low-fat yogurt. Soups with lean kefir are also useful, for example, holodnik.
For lunch, the soup of champignon puree with leek is suitable.
- champignons - 500 g;
- a small leek;
- greens, parsley, dill;
- wholemeal bread crumbs.
Preparation of mushroom soup:
- Wash all ingredients well.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters, cut the leek into rings.
- Finely chop the herbs and garlic.
- In a pan, cook the mushrooms and onions in a small amount of water until soft.
- Add the herbs and chopped fresh garlic.
- Wait until the liquid boils.
- Remove from heat and beat until smooth.
Soup can be seasoned with yogurt. Eat with toasted wholemeal bread.
Steamed chicken chops or baked fish fillets are suitable for the second.
For baked fish you will need:
- 400 g of lean fillets, such as carp, cod, pike, hake;
- a small carrot;
- a lamp;
- greens, dill, parsley;
- Wash the carrots and mushrooms well.
- Clean the lamp.
- Coarsely grate the carrots or cut into strips.
- Chop the onion into rings.
- Mushrooms cut in half.
- Finely chop the greens.
Pour some water into a baking dish and place grated carrots, onions, herbs, mushrooms, fish fillets and again vegetables in layers so that the mushrooms are on top. Cover the form with parchment paper or a lid designed for this and put it in the preheated oven. Bake the dish for a quarter of an hour.
For sweets, you can eat oatmeal cookies, marshmallows, marshmallows and desserts based on natural fruits, berries, nuts, but no sugar. An example of this could be raw food cakes, which use dates, almonds, sunflower seeds and even buckwheat.
For dinner or breakfast, protein omelets with fresh peas are suitable. However, you shouldn't lean on egg dishes. They can be consumed 2-3 times a week if the disease is in remission.
Care should be taken with festive dishes as it is not customary to refuse food at a party. It is okay if a person with psoriasis in remission allows himself once a month to deviate from the usual menu without abusing the forbidden foods. The only things you should really refrain from are alcohol, chocolate and coffee.
If a person with psoriasis is waiting for guests, then there is no problem. There are hundreds of diet and vegetarian dishes that are not shy about treating the king himself.
Varieties of diets
Existing diets for psoriasis are based on different principles. For example, Dr. Pegano, author of Dietary Nutrition for Psoriasis, suggested that the primary factor in alleviating the disease and prolonging remission is a single diet for 3-5 days and bowel cleansing. The doctor believes that the key to curing psoriasis lies in pH balance, so she included alkaline foods that heal the body in the list of allowed foods.
However, a person needs acids, because psoriasis does not develop if the pH of the environment is ideal.
Diet D. Pegano
The essence of dietary nutrition according to the American Dr. Pegano's method is to follow the diet steps and include certain foods in the daily diet.
The Pegano diet consists of fresh fruits and vegetables. However, apples, bananas and melons are considered a separate independent dish. They are used in baked form.
A person with psoriasis starts with a so-called fasting diet and chooses between:
- monofruit diet, which is observed for 5 days;
- apple, which adheres to 3 days.
In addition, treatment includes:
- Healing physical exercises for the spine, because Dr. Pegano saw a connection between relapses and a back problem. The fact is, damaged vertebral discs compress nerve endings and blood vessels, and impaired blood flow causes a psoriatic relapse.
- Visit beauty salons, baths and saunas, therapeutic baths. Procedures cleanse the skin, remove toxins from the body.
- Effective stress management, from meditation to reading and listening to your favorite music. The lower the stress level, the lower the risk of relapse.
People with psoriasis include in their daily diet:
- cereals and bran;
- lean meats and fish;
- dairy and low-fat dairy products (milk, buttermilk, buttermilk, yogurt);
- porridge boiled in water;
- whole grain bread.
Approximate weekly menu according to Dr. Pegano:
- On the first day, buckwheat porridge for breakfast, for lunch - vegetable soup and fresh vegetable salad, for dinner - baked or boiled fish fillet with lettuce. You can eat fresh and baked fruits.
- On the second day, you can have a protein omelet with greens for breakfast, dinner with grated broccoli and leek soup, and for dinner, have chicken fillet cooked with peas or asparagus beans.
- The third day includes kefir or plain yogurt for breakfast, barley with vegetables and mushrooms for lunch, fresh vegetable salad and chicken for dinner.
- On day 4, you can have breakfast with cottage cheese, drink chamomile tea, dinner with low-fat fish soup, snack with grapes or baked apple, and dinner with vegetable salad.
- The fifth day includes celery salad for breakfast, whole grain pasta with vegetables for lunch, cream soup or cabbage soup with wholegrain bread croutons for dinner. You can snack with any fruit on the permitted list or a handful of nuts/seeds.
- On the sixth day, you can have breakfast with a thick-grain cottage cheese casserole, a snack with low-fat yogurt, and for lunch, have roasted trout with vegetables.
- Finally, the last 7 days include dishes like carrot salad for breakfast, borscht for lunch, buckwheat porridge or barley with vegetables or chicken breast.
According to the doctor, a special alkaline diet relieves the manifestations of psoriasis, which heals the skin and joints and improves immunity. For a month, you should abstain from foods with carbohydrates and proteins.
During an exacerbation of the disease, the doctor recommends that people take sorbents and drink chamomile tea half an hour before meals.
Most of the foods that the doctor has included in the developed diet are alkaline, with a pH level of 7 to 14. Fried and smoked foods are contraindicated. A person should eat boiled, fat-free baked and boiled food.
Once every 7 days, the doctor recommends that people with psoriasis "unload" the intestines. All day a person consumes one of the products:
- fermented milk, cottage cheese or kefir;
A day of fasting does not mean a hunger strike, because exhausting the body during a psoriatic relapse is strictly prohibited.
In addition, you need:
- include lecithin in the daily diet;
- eating 5 times a day, eating approximately equal caloric portions or dividing the diet into three main meals and two snacks;
- quit smoking.
The diet includes many plant foods and reduces protein intake:
- Fruits and vegetables, especially berries (grapes, cherries), nectarines, pineapples, mangoes and papayas. Before eating, the fruits and berries are washed well, the skin is peeled. Vegetables, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cucumber are used as a side dish, in salads, soups. However, they will bring more benefits if eaten fresh, without thermal processing.
- Cereals, wholemeal bread, pasta, buckwheat, durum wheat, unrefined flour.
- Dietary meat and sea fish.
- Greens, seeds.
- Eggs and lean dairy.
- Vegetable oils.
- Dried apricots, raisins, plums, dates.
In limited amounts, a person with psoriasis can eat mushrooms, nuts, honey, and grapefruit. You should drink table water or mineral, herbal teas, indicated for psoriasis.
The foods on the menu contain essential nutrients that a person with a skin condition needs:
- vitamins, minerals;
- polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- zinc, calcium.
For example, for breakfast you can have cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit or cereal, for lunch - soups with vegetable broth, including puree, dinner with fish, vinaigrettes, pasta made from wholemeal flour. You shouldn't include porridge and cottage cheese or soup and porridge in a meal, but fresh vegetables and fruits can be present in any meal. For dessert, you can make a smoothie or fruit salad.
Other tips and tricks
Dietary nutrition differs depending on which part of the body psoriasis covers. A person still builds a diet based on the composition of products and the cooking method, but adjusts the list of allowed and prohibited foods, taking into account psoriatic manifestations.
For example, nutrition for scalp psoriasis excludes many spices and onions, garlic, horseradish, and mustard. Heavy and fatty fried foods, rich sweets, scrambled eggs and pasta are also contraindicated.
In foods that undergo prolonged heat treatment, few vitamins are left, and in baked goods with added sugar, whole milk, butter, there is no fiber that a person with psoriasis needs to stimulate digestive functions.
During an exacerbation of psoriasis, the diet should be strict, consisting exclusively of boiled foods, stews, purees, hypoallergenic vegetables, fruits, berries and cereals in water.
In addition, it is necessary to consume minerals and vitamins and ensure that the diet contains as much plant fiber as possible.
Diet for weight loss in psoriasis
Obesity and overweight negatively affect the course of psoriasis, because the disease mainly affects the skin folds. In obese people, psoriasis can be more severe and relapses last longer, because obesity negatively affects the cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems of the body. Therefore, if a person weighs a lot and notices manifestations of a skin disease, he should lose weight.
The best results can be achieved if you combine a strict diet and moderate exercise. You can start the exercises after the exacerbation has passed and the disease has disappeared.
Six principles people with psoriasis should follow to lose weight and improve the course of the skin disease:
- You can't completely exclude carbs, but you can and should - fatty foods. The exception is fish rich in polyunsaturated acids.
- Include in your diet anti-inflammatory foods, cereals, flaxseed meal, unrefined vegetable oils, especially extra virgin olives, fresh fish, but not smoked or salted.
- Exclude foods that provoke inflammatory processes, such as potatoes, paprika, eggplant.
- Drink plenty of fluids, water, lightly carbonated mineral water.
- Exercise moderately, visit the swimming pool, sauna, as soon as the disease enters the remission stage.
- Manage stress. This is a whole science that allows you to control emotions and therefore refrain from impulsively eating junk food, sweets, pickles, which "help calm" anxious people.
Effective weight loss diets include any diet indicated for psoriasis as they follow three main principles of healthy eating:
- Exclusion of unhealthy foods.
- Sufficient fluid intake.
- Fractional nutrition.
A person with psoriasis should monitor their condition during treatment and independently exclude any foods that worsen the course of the disease, even if they are on the allowed list.